Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Day Three (or Third Day, who cares)

Another day, another change of plan. If you remember the map that I posted on the first page, today I was supposed to go straight from Mackinac City to Minneapolis, MN. However, I made some changes in my plan. Instead, I was going to Soult Ste. Marie, which located next to Canada, then go to Madison, WI. Thus, here's my final route for today:


So, I started at Mackinac City. I was tempted to go to the Mackinaw Island, unfortunately, I haven't reserved a hotel for the evening after I visited the island and I also had an appointment to keep at Minneapolis. So, I can only show you here some pictures of Mackinac:







From the city, I passed the bridge and drove straight to Soult Ste. Marie.



Why? Because it was close and it was also in the book that I mentioned yesterday. I have mentioned that the town itself was close to Canada, and apparently, it drives a good business for the Canadians. Pay attention to the sign:


Apparently there are three major attractions in this place: the "Tower of History," which only provides view of entire town, the locks, and the lock tour with ships. Unfortunately, it would take me too much tome to go to the tour, so I only go to the tower and the locks:

$6 to climb the tower.... Was it worth it? You decide!




The tower is supposed to be a modernist interpretation of three crosses at Golgotha. See if you can "find" them.


Then, the locks:




From Soult Ste. Marie, I decided to go to Hiawatha National Park. Apparently there are several interesting spots there, such as the Iroquis Point and Tahquamenon Falls, which is considered a "mini Niagara." Unfortunately, the Michigan park authority was cheap, demanding me to pay $8 just to come in to snap pictures. I decided to pass. However, I did take some great pictures of the Iroquis point.




In the meantime, I had a small accident, while trying to kill a frigging mosquito that had been bothering me since my stop at Tahquamenon Falls, I accidentally drove off road and into a ditch. Fortunately, there's no major damage, however, I need to rebalance the tires and probably get a new set of tires. At this rate, these tires won't last in my journey to San Francisco and it will still a while. Still, I managed to drive to Madison, WI, stopping for a moment at Packers stadium at Green Bay. Eight hour drive. I am tired! Tonight, I am staying in Madison, Wisconsin and I will spend another day exploring my former university. So, I may not have new photos posted tomorrow. We'll see.

Anyway, here are some photos taken on the road. These three photos were taken near Paradise, before that accident.




Lakeview


Welcome to Wisconsin


You know where these photos were taken, don't you?



Idyllic scene of Wisconsin.


Madison, WI



Lots of changes near where I used to live in Madison



Before I end today's blog, I want to share an observation: I think Michigan is the only state where they put sign "left" on the top of the traffic light that indicates whether you can turn left. I find this pretty interesting, considering the fact that I kept getting pissed off with how bad the drivers that I met on the road, e.g. driving at appx 25 mph at 55 mph stretch. I wonder if there's a correlation between them.

Anyway, that's all for now, folks. Now, time to hit the sack.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Huahahahaha...
This must be one of the funniest blog I've read (not that I read that many blogs :P)

Since this blog is about my little bro's journey to San Francisco, of course I need to read it. I don't care much about other people's blog anyway...