Monday, June 9, 2008

Day One: From Columbus to Holland

Having bid everyone in the department goodbye many times since last week, I finally left Columbus today for a cross country journey, starting from Columbus to San Francisco. Here is my plan.




My original plan is to go straight to Sault Ste. Marie, on the American side of course, since I don't have visa to Canada. However, today I departed Columbus at 1 PM, so I was thinking of changing my plan. I wanted to visit Ann Arbor instead, and hoping that I would arrive there at 7 PM. To my surprise however, I arrived there at around 5 PM, so two hours faster than I expected. After I spent some time driving around the University of Michigan campus, I decided that I should go somewhere else. At that point, I remembered one of my friends told me that I should visit Holland, Michigan. So I decided to drive to Holland, passing Lansing and finally now, I am writing this blog in a hotel room in Holland.

Anyway, here are all my impressions about the places that I visited today.

My impression about University of Michigan: unfortunately, the Big House is not that impressive.... It may be because of my OSU bias, but compared to Horseshoe, the Big House is very spartan. I could not take its picture unfortunately, since it is under construction and I cannot stop and park my car.

Anyway, here are several other pictures that I take from the University of Michigan campus, which is pretty good, unlike its stadium.








From here, I went to Lansing, to visit Michigan State. The funny thing is that I actually did not plan this visit at all, but when I passed Lansing, I saw the sign "Spartan Stadium next two exits," so hey, why not? It was only 6 PM anyway. Spartan Stadium looks much better than the Big House.







From there, I moved to Holland. Anyway, I will post more pictures tomorrow. It is 12 AM now and I am really want to go to sleep.

No comments: